Prior to joining Wharton, some students choose to participate in pre-MBA programs and internships for early career exploration, or to build their network. Pre-MBA internships and experiences are not a required part of the Wharton MBA Program, but many students find they help build confidence and a career network before starting their MBA.
Opportunities to participate in pre-MBA programs will be posted here as we learn of them.
WHAT IS A PRE-MBA INTERNSHIP AND SHOULD I PURSUE ONE?
There are two typical types of Pre-MBA internships. The first is offered by larger, established companies who provide structured experiences that may carry through into an MBA summer internship opportunity, acceptance of which may be obligatory. The second is Pre-MBA internships that are typically secured through networking and are focused on gaining industry or functional experience with no expectation or obligation of an MBA summer internship position.
The decision to pursue and/or accept a pre-MBA internship is left to the discretion of each admitted student. Individuals should not feel that it is necessary to conduct a Pre-MBA internship (structured or unstructured) in order to be successful in recruiting for summer internships or full-time positions while at Wharton. At Wharton, you will be provided with numerous academic, social, and leadership opportunities to grow your professional skill set. You will also have access to a best-in-class career management team that will help you devise and implement a strategic and successful job search.
Occasionally, companies will host receptions to congratulate the incoming members of top MBA programs. These events will also be posted on this list.
CAN I CONTACT MBA CAREER MANAGEMENT ABOUT PRE-MBA INTERNSHIPS?
As MBA Career Management (MBACM) is dedicated to supporting current students in their search for summer and full-time opportunities, the team is unable to support the search process surrounding Pre-MBA internships. MBACM looks forward to working with admitted students once they arrive in Philadelphia for Pre-Term.
If you are in conversation with a company about a summer internship during your first year as an MBA (i.e. next summer), we recommend that you speak with a career advisor before making a decision and finalizing your plans. If you receive a first year summer internship offer before arriving to campus in the fall, please contact us so we can assist you.
Current Pre-MBA Opportunities
Adenia Partners Internship
Founded in 2002, Adenia Partners is a private equity management firm investing in some of Africa’s most promising businesses.
Through five fund vehicles, Adenia manages $800 million of assets. Adenia’s investment team is composed of experienced private equity professionals with a broad set of skills in strategic consulting, M&A, and company management. The team, comprised of 18 professionals, is based in 8 African countries with offices in Nigeria, Ghana, Cote d’Ivoire, Kenya, Morocco, South Africa, Madagascar, and Mauritius.
Adenia focuses on control buy-out and growth capital investments in market leaders exhibiting strong potential for operational improvement.
Adenia targets companies generating minimum EBITDA of $3 million. The fund seeks to invest in a variety of sectors including, but not limited to, consumer goods, business services, manufacturing, financial services, ICT and telecommunications, and hospitality.
- Location: Lagos, Nigeria
- Length: 3-6 months
- Start Date: Rolling
- Position: Pre-MBA Intern (candidate should be admitted to an MBA program starting Sept. 2023)
- Description: Participate in the analysis of investment opportunities: industry analysis, macro-economic overview, financial models, valuation analysis. Participate in the preparation of financial models and business plans. Assist the deal team in the preparation of information memoranda and due diligence activities. Assist the deal team in the preparation of portfolio monitoring reports.
- Candidate Profile: 2-6 years’ previous work experience in a PE firm, investment bank, strategy consultancy, or accounting firm. The candidate must have prior work experience based in Nigeria. This opportunity is for candidates about to begin a top-tier MBA program. Excellent skills in financial analysis, modeling and valuation are mandatory. Fluent in English. Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Soft skills: Autonomous, ability to take initiative, intellectual curiosity, analytical rigor, strong ability to synthesize and communicate insights, understanding and enthusiasm for profitable and sustainable businesses
- How to Apply: Please send your resume to Prisca Ahimah at firstname.lastname@example.org
Juno MBA Internship
Join us at Juno! We’re on a mission to help students save on loans, and we’re looking for a gritty, creative, and driven Growth MBA Intern to join our team this summer. You’ll work on boosting user acquisition and conversions for new audiences, making a real difference for students.
What you’ll do:
- Develop growth strategies: Implement innovative tactics to drive user acquisition and conversion across channels (digital, social, offline).
- Analyze and optimize: Dive into data to optimize growth initiatives, using tools like Google Analytics and PowerBI.
- Collaborate on campaigns: Launch targeted marketing campaigns, including email, social media, and content marketing.
- Iterate and learn: Design and execute A/B tests to optimize user experience and conversion rates.
What you’ll bring:
- Enrolled in an MBA program with a passion for growth marketing and an entrepreneurial mindset
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and data-driven decision-making skills
- A creative approach to growth hacking and user acquisition
- Experience with digital marketing tools and platforms
- Excellent communication skills and a team player attitude
- A genuine interest in our mission and making an impact
What’s in it for you:
- A fun, informal, and supportive environment to learn, grow, and contribute
- High-impact projects with a passionate, talented team
- Competitive compensation
- We’re looking for a true go-getter unafraid to get their hands dirty. If that’s you, let’s make higher education more affordable together!
DURATION: 10-12 Weeks
Ready to apply? Click here.
Franklin Templeton Pre-MBA internship program
Franklin Templeton is offering a pre-MBA equity research internship
We invite pre-MBA candidates to participate in a hybrid, 2-week paid internship before entering their first year of business school. The internship will run from July 17th to 28th, 2023 and provide the opportunity to:
- Learn about the day-to-day life of a public equity investor
- Research market dynamics and company growth drivers
- Develop and deliver recommendations to our broader investment team
- Meet with other industry professionals and company management teams
Interested in a pre-MBA internship? Please submit your resume and complete the quick application by clicking here.
Applications are due by June 16th, 2023.
It is free to apply to this program, and Franklin Templeton will pay for reasonable travel, lodging, and expenses for accepted applicants.
Morgan Stanley MBA Early Insights Program
At Morgan Stanley, we are defined by our people, our founders, our company veterans and our newest recruits. We draw on the strength of their diverse talents and perspectives, generating growth for our clients in ways that are forward-thinking and sustainable. We collaborate across departments and our global network of offices to deliver exceptional ideas and solutions to the world’s most complex challenges.
Our MBA Early Insights Program is an integral part of our diversity recruiting efforts, helping to attract historically underrepresented groups in the financial services industry who are starting their MBA program in Fall 2023. The program will provide an opportunity to explore aspects of our Investment Banking Division.
You will have the chance to gain insight into the recruiting process and network with senior leaders. Morgan Stanley will cover domestic travel to and from New York City for selected participants.
Eligibility Requirement: Incoming 1st year MBA students who self-identify as part of a historically underrepresented group.
Application Details: After submitting your application online, you will be asked to complete an additional video component via HireVue as part of the application process.
Application Deadline: Thursday, June 29th at 11:59pm EST
Learn more at www.morganstanley.com/diversity
Questions? E-mail email@example.com
BCG International Newly Admitted MBA Receptions
Congratulations on being admitted to your MBA program! We would like to take this opportunity to invite you to attend a Newly Admitted MBA Reception for one of our non-U.S. BCG offices this summer. Over the next few months a number of BCG’s offices in Asia Pacific, EMESA, and Mexico will be hosting these receptions. Some will be virtual, others will be in-person, so please be sure to check the event description when registering. This is a great opportunity for you to connect and learn more about the BCG office in your home country as well as network with future MBA colleagues.
Spanish South America: In-person
Germany & Austria: Virtual
Middle East: Virtual
Tel Aviv: In-person
Greater China: Virtual
Southeast Asia: Virtual
For more information about all events, visit https://careers.bcg.com/namr-international-newly-admitted-mba
Lincoln International’s DE&I MBA Recruiting Workshop
You are cordially invited to join Lincoln International for a recruiting event for rising first-year MBA students who identify themselves as female, LGBTQ+ and/or African American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American or Pacific Islander. The program will provide you with great insight into the role of an Associate in a middle market investment bank, as well as networking opportunities with Lincoln bankers.
Competitive candidates will be first-year MBA students beginning their MBA program in fall 2023; available for a 2024 summer associate internship at Lincoln; and interested in working in Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, or Dallas for the duration of the internship.
We look forward to connecting with you, sharing the Lincoln growth and success story and highlighting what makes Lincoln a repeatedly recognized top place to work! Hope to see you there!
- Identifies as female, LGBTQ+ and/or African American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American or Pacific Islander
- Assertive, self-motivated individual with a desire to succeed in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Fluent in accounting and finance with strong business acumen
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Must be admitted into a top-tier MBA program (2025 graduation), and hold an outstanding academic record
DATE & TIME
Thursday, August 3, 2023
110 N. Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60661
Friday, July 14, 2023
Google MBA Internship Webinar Series
The Google MBA Series will run every Wednesday at 4 PM PT from June 21 – Aug 2 (except July 5) online and covers the following:
- MBA Summer Internship Program and Recruiting Process Overview
- Four Functionally-Aligned MBA Alumni Googler Panels: (1) Finance, (2) Business Strategy & Operations, (3) Program Management, and (4) Product Management
- Resume and Interview Best Practices
Each session has a separate registration. While all the events are virtual, they are not pre-recorded, so attendees joining at scheduled event times have the opportunity to submit questions for our speakers to address live.
We recognize the dates and time may not work for all incoming students, so content becomes available on-demand after an event ends.
These events are non-evaluative and aim to provide helpful information and additional touchpoints for candidates as they explore career opportunities on their MBA journey.
T. Rowe Price's Stock Pitch Workshop for Women
Thank you for your interest in T. Rowe Price’s Stock Pitch Workshop for Women! The workshop will be hosted virtually this year.
T. Rowe Price is committed to encouraging women to pursue careers in investing. The stock pitch is a critical component of the interview process, and for those who have limited experience pitching stocks, this may be a deterrent to pursuing a career in the industry. To help you refine and perfect your stock pitch skills, T. Rowe Price invites women entering their first year of their MBA to participate in a 1 ½ day workshop to learn from and network with our investment professionals.
The deadline to apply is Monday, July 10, 2023.
To apply for this program, click on the link below.
Decisions regarding those selected to attend will be communicated by Monday, July 17, 2023.
Strategy& Middle East - Fellowship for Women in Consulting
Jumpstart your career with the Strategy& Middle East Women Fellowship!
Are you a driven and passionate woman looking to make a significant impact in the consulting world? The Strategy& Middle East Women Fellowship Program will introduce you to our firm and allow you to challenge yourself and grow professionally. Selected fellows will benefit from:
- Trip to visit Strategy& Dubai
- Interactive trainings
- Personalized mentorship
- Guaranteed 1st round internship interview
You must be a woman enrolled in a full-time MBA program in the United States, Canada, or Europe, entering your first year in the fall of 2023.
Please submit your resume and cover letter (350 words), stating why you believe you should be selected for the fellowship and what you would like to learn during this program.
Apply by July 13, 2023
Johnson & Johnson Pre-MBA Open Day
Join us at Pre-MBA Open Day!
- Where: On-site in Shanghai, China
- Date: August 2, 2023 (GMT+8)
- Time: 14:00 PM – 17:00 PM
Discover the benefits of Johnson and Johnson’s International Rotational Development Program:
- Comprehensive career tracking
- Customized development planning
- Access to Global Alumni Network
- Leadership training
- Executive coaching and mentorship
Register here: https://www.wjx.top/vm/hHO94Iy.aspx?pwx=1
Questions? Reach out to Jhuang69@its.jnj.com
Inside Amazon Pathways: Webinar
We are excited to offer MBA graduate students the opportunity to launch big careers with limitless possibilities. Join the Pathways recruiting team to learn more about the Pathways Operations Leadership Development Program. Both the full-time role and summer internship opportunity will be discussed. There will be an open Q&A at the end of the session.
Friday, August 4, 2023
4:30 PM – 5:30 PM EDT
DC Advisory Pre-MBA Program
At DC Advisory, making a difference is our common vision and our respect for diverse thinking fosters an environment for our people to thrive. We are a global investment bank committed to providing the Right Advice™ with integrity, honesty, and respect. Our firm has been named one of Vault’s Top 25 US Banking Firms for the previous 3 years.
Our Pre-MBA program is a customized symposium designed for incoming first-year MBA students who are seeking an immersive investment banking experience prior to entering business school. The program is comprised of hands-on deal transaction experience and an assigned banker mentor to assimilate you to the organization as well as the investment banking industry.
As a Pre-MBA participant, you will be working alongside associates and vice presidents to learn about day-to-day M&A, capital raising, restructuring, and financial advisory deal processes and projects. You will gain exposure to core investment banking workflows and expand your knowledge in key analytical, communication, marketing, and sales skills.
Qualities we seek include:
- Acceptance to a top MBA program with intent to graduate in 2025
- An unwavering commitment to excellence and a high degree of maturity
- A high level of initiative, motivation, attention to detail, positive attitude, and the ability to excel in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, high performance work environment
- An outstanding academic record
- The ability to work as part of a team in an environment that demands excellence, time, and energy
- Personal integrity, initiative, and leadership qualities
- Strong quantitative, verbal, and written communication skills; strong financial understanding and financial modeling skills a plus
- Strong multi-tasking and time management skills
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office suite