Hello Class of 2016!
November 12, 2015
Spring 2016 Registration
While Course Match does not close until Monday, December 7, 2015 at 12:00pm (noon) we strongly recommend that you enter utilities prior to leaving campus for the Thanksgiving break.
SPRING 2016 SCHEDULE
Monday, December 7, 2015 — 12:00pm (noon)
Last day for students to report and modify preferences
Course Match closes at 12:00pm (noon)
Friday, December 11, 2015
Course schedules are released
Drop/Add "buffer period" begins
Monday, December 14 — 12:00pm (noon)
Drop/Add "buffer period" ends
"Buffer period" results will be released later in the day
Monday, January 11, 2016
First day of Q3 and spring semester core courses
Wednesday, January 13, 2016
First day of Q3 and spring semester elective courses
Syllabi for courses from previous semesters can be found on the syllabi@wharton site (A=Spring / C=Fall). This will be especially helpful when looking for OIDD (formerly OPIM) syllabi as the upcoming semester (16A) will not show previous years due to the department name change.
Spring 2016 Core Exam Schedule
The Spring 2016 Core Exam Schedule is now posted under the SPIKE Exam Calendars.
Operations Strategy Practicum Course (Spring 2016)
The Spring 2016 section of the Operations Strategy Practicum Course (OIDD 680) will include a week in Germany during Spring Break 2016. Please review the syllabus (linked) if you are interested in participating in the course. Note that this course has an admission process, additional expenses and requires early financial commitment. Please do not hesitate to contact Prof. Morris Cohen in the Operations, Information and Decisions Department if you have any questions. Information regarding the registration process for this course will be released in future correspondence.
May 2016 Graduates: Order Your Diploma!
Believe it or not, it’s already that time!
We need to know how you would like your name to appear on your diploma. Please enter your name through the diploma application as soon as possible. The app will close on December 2.
Spring Break Global Modular Course Registration
Registration for the Spring Break courses is now open and will close on Monday, November 23 at 9 am (EDT). Via links below, we have provided the most current syllabus available – in most cases it is the syllabus from the last time the course was taught.
Please click here to enter your preferences for the Spring Break courses. You may enter your ranked interest in as many courses as you wish. Please be certain of your intent to take the course when you complete the form. Once the registration closes you will receive an email shortly after informing you of your status in the course and requesting you confirm your interest in the class. Entry into OIDD 899 is by essay. For this course you need to rank your preference for the class and submit an essay. We will begin to inform students of their status in the class two weeks after registration closes.
We will do our best to accommodate all demand in these courses, and will resort to a lottery (with preference for second year students) if courses are oversubscribed. Please contact Paula Greenberg for more information.
Prospective December 2015 Graduates
Prospective December 2015 graduates should contact Barbara Winters as soon as possible.
The Lauren & Bobby Turner Social Impact Series â€“ A Dialogue with William Ackman
William Ackman is the CEO and Portfolio Manager of Pershing Square Capital Management, L.P., an SEC registered investment adviser founded in 2003.
Monday, November 16, 2015 at 4:45 PM, Zellerbach Theatre, Annenberg Center
Moderated by Bobby Turner W'84
Leadership Program Updates:
The Leadership Fellow Application is now open. For information on how to apply, please visit the application section on our website. The deadline to apply is Monday November 16, 2015 by 1:30 pm EST.
If you have any questions, please email Amanda Zimmerman.
Enrollment for ECFP is now open. To enroll please fill out the survey here. The deadline to enroll is Tuesday November 17, 2015.
Please see our website for more details.
Authors@Wharton Speaker Series Upcoming Events:
Author and Journalist
The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto: A Novel
Friday, November 13, 2015
*Doors Open: 12:00pm
Claudia Cohen Hall, G17
Philip Tetlock & Maurice Schweitzer
Superforecasting: The Art & Science of Prediction by Phil Tetlock
Friend & Foe: When to Cooperate, When to Compete, and How to Succeed at Both by Maurice Schweitzer
December 2, 2015
*Doors open: 4:15
Looking for a Winter Break Adventure?
Have yet to make Winter Break plans? Why not spend it having an epic adventure that will increase your leadership skills? There are a very limited number of spots available on the Tall Ships Sailing Leadership Expedition and the Andes Mountaineering Leadership Expedition. Spots are first come, first serve. More information can be found below. If you’re interested in learning more and/or signing up, please email WLPVentures@wharton.upenn.edu.
- Tall Ships Sailing - Tall Ship Sailing provides an intense at-sea experience in New Zealand aboard a 161 ft. Brigantine ship. While at sea for eight days, participants will learn sailing and navigation, conduct critical oceanographic research and experience the challenges and rewards of self-discipline, team building and decision-making under unfamiliar circumstances. Dates: December 30, 2015 – January 7, 2016. Cost: $3,500
- Andes Mountaineering - Alpine style climb of a major peak in the Central Chilean Andes. This venture will provide both physical and mental challenge exercising leadership, teamwork and self-discipline. Dates: December 29, 2015 – January 5, 2016. Cost: $3,000
Leadership Venture Gear Exchange
Calling all students (especially 2nd years) who have gear they want to sell or rent! Please fill out the venture gear exchange spreadsheet with gear details, price, and contact information.
Thanksgiving Week Schedule
Please note the following as it pertains to the week of November 22:
Mon-Wed, November 23-25
Core classes do not meet
Tuesday, November 24
The University of Pennsylvania operates on a Thursday schedule
- Tuesday only elective classes do not meet
- Thursday only elective classes meet
Wednesday, November 25
The University of Pennsylvania operates on a Friday schedule
- Wednesday only elective classes do not meet
- Friday only elective classes meet
Thu-Sun, November 26- November 29
Thanksgiving Break - Classes do not meet
Conference season is underway! Just a few friendly reminder to the organizers:
- If your event features a speaker, please note that each speaker a group, club, department, or individual wishes to invite to a Wharton event, whether on campus or off-site, must be approved by Wharton Marketing and Communications (and in certain cases by the University) before any invitation is extended. Each speaker request must be submitted using the school-wide Speaker Request Management System, found here: https://web.wharton.upenn.edu/speaker/. Please expect at least 72 business hours for feedback on your request. Failure to abide by this policy may result in loss of Wharton and University resources.
- Please reference the Media Relations guidelines and the speaker release forms posted on SPIKE. If you plan on inviting journalists to attend sessions, it is important to get your conference speakers’ approval first.
We appreciate all your hard work in coordinating these fantastic events on behalf of the Wharton community and wish the best of luck!
-WGA Conference Chairs & Student Life
MEET WITH YOUR CLUSTER DIRECTOR
Welcome back! The MBA Office of Student Life would like to remind you that we’re here if you ever want to talk. We’d love to catch up with you and hear about your summer. If you’d like to set up a meeting with your Cluster’s Student Life Advisor, please use the link below to access the Wharton Appointment Scheduler.