Hello Class of 2017!
October 15, 2015
Q2 and Fall Semester Registration
Please note the following dates as they pertain to Q2 and full semester courses for the remainder of the fall semester:
Monday, October 19
- First day of Q2 core and elective courses
Thursday, October 22
- Final day to drop full semester courses: Any student who drops a full semester course after this date will receive a W on his/her transcript and the credit will count against his/her 21CU maximum allotment. Students who exceed their maximum CU allotment are subject to additional tuition.
- Last day to add Q2 courses
- Last day to drop, without penalty, Q2 courses at capacity: Any student who drops a Q2 course at capacity after this date will receive a W on his/her transcript.
Thursday, November 5
- Last day to change the grading status of a Q2 elective
Click here to view the annual academic calendar in its entirety.
Spring 2016 Registration
With the opening of Spring 2016 Course Match fast approaching, we want to inform you that a tentative list of course offerings will be made available on the Course Match page on SPIKE sometime early next week.
Below is the Course Match calendar for Spring 2016 registration:
Monday, November 2
Course Match Opens
Students may begin to report and modify their preferences for Spring 2016 courses
Monday, December 7 - 12:00pm (noon)
Last day for students to report and modify preferences
Course Match closes at 12:00pm (noon)
Friday, December 11
Course Schedules are released
Drop/Add "buffer period" begins
Monday, December 14 - 12:00pm (noon)
Drop/Add "buffer period" ends
"Buffer period" results will be released later that day
Monday, January 11
First day of Q3 and spring semester core courses
Wharton MBA Program operates on a Wednesday schedule
Monday only Core classes do not meet
Wednesday only Core classes meet
Wednesday, January 13
First day of Q3 and spring semester elective courses
University operates on a Monday schedule
Wednesday only classes do not meet
Monday only classes (Core and Elective) meet
Tutor@Wharton is a platform that connects Wharton students with tutors for fixed and flexible core subject material. Tutors are usually second year students who have proven their mastery of the subject material. To find a tutor in a core subject, visit the Tutor@Wharton site and click “I am looking for a tutor.”
Wharton MBA Financial Aid Office: GIP Financing
If you are planning to attend a Fall GIP, financing options are available and will be communicated to registered participants within two weeks.
Please contact Tammy Carter via email or via phone at 215-898-8728 if you have any questions.
Global Immersion Programs: Spots Available
October 22nd is the deadline to submit applications for the remaining spots in the Southeast Asia and India Global Immersion Programs (GIPs). Email the Coordinator of Global Immersion Programs, Christine Sweeney, for more information on how to apply.
Financial and Immunization Holds
SFS has placed registration and transcript holds on all accounts over $1000. Please go to Student Financial Services located in Room 100 in the Franklin Building to take care of this matter.
SFS has placed immunization holds on all students who have not shown proof of immunization. If you have not taken care of this matter, there are three ways to contact Student Health:
- ASAP at 215-746-3535 and press option 5!
- Visit the SHS at 3535 Market Street
- Email them
All holds must be removed by November 2 or you will not have Course Match access.
Flu Clinics! SAVE THE DATE
It’s that time of year again! SHS will host 2 mass flu immunization clinics.
- Thursday, October 22, 2015 11am-7:30pm Bodek Lounge, Houston Hall
- Wednesday, October 28, 2015 11am-7:30pm Hall of Flags, Houston Hall
Flu clinics will operate as they have in the past with short wait times (5 minutes or less!), convenient onsite documentation, and extended evening hours to accommodate busy schedules.
- For students, vaccines are covered by the Penn Student Insurance Plan or are eligible for reimbursement if they’re covered by a different insurance carrier.
- Penn spouses/partners are invited to our Flu Clinics as well, though they must pay $25 cash.
- Unfortunately, we are unable to vaccinate anyone under the age of 18.
Student Health Services encourages you to get your flu vaccines at these clinics. Influenza spreads quickly on college campuses, so the flu vaccine helps to protect us all.
Semester in San Francisco Info Session
Are you considering Wharton’s Semester in San Francisco (SSF)? At this info session, we will discuss the benefits of spending the first semester of your 2Y studying at Wharton’s downtown San Francisco campus on the Embarcadero. Topics covered will include: coursework, benefits to the job search, student life and leadership seminars. You will hear stories from previous and current participants, as well as learn about the application process. Speakers will include Wharton staff managing the program and current 2Ys participants who will speak virtually via Skype. The info session is scheduled on Wednesday, November 11, at 4:30pm in F95.
Leadership Program Updates:
Nonprofit Board Fellow Coordinator applications are now open, and will close at 5pm on Friday, October 23. Apply Now! NBF coordinators form the executive committee of the program, must be in the 1st year, and have prior experience with a nonprofit board. Please contact Dan Kaufman or Gizelle Clemens with any questions.
Our next Authors@Wharton program will be held on October 28:
Political Activist & Former World Chess Champion, Garry Kasparov
Winter Is Coming: Why Vladimir Putin and the Enemies of the Free World Must Be Stopped
Wednesday, October 28, 2015
*Doors open: 4:20pm
Please refer to our website for the rest of the Fall lineup.
Quiet Study Space
Facilities and Operations has set aside classrooms that can be used for quiet study. Click here for the daily list. You can also find the list published on Spike via the MBA Program Office tab under the "Quick Links" section.
Other areas within the University can also be used for study or meetings. Click here for more info! And don't forget about Hoover Lounge!
We are soliciting applications for LawWithoutWalls (Lwow), an international program aimed at pairing business school and law school students to embrace and meet the challenges of the economic pressures, technological advances, and globalization that have dramatically reshaped the legal market.
Over a 3-month period, LawWithoutWalls teams up students from over 20 elite law and business schools around the world with academic, lawyer, and entrepreneur mentors to develop business plans that tackle the main problems facing legal education and practice today.
Lwow starts off with an interactive KickOff in January 2016, at IE University in Madrid, Spain, where we engage in teaming, idea-generation, and entrepreneurial skills. Then we "go virtual" for three months. In late March/Early April we attend the ConPosium, at University of Miami, during which teams present their business plans to a panel of judges (including venture capitalists). The winning team has the opportunity to have its project funded.
Funding may be available to cover registration, and travel costs to Madrid and Miami. Students can also receive 1 CU of course credit for their participation. You can learn more about Lwow here. The application deadline is October 30, 2015.
Wharton has sent MBA students to participate for the last three years. To be put in touch with these students, or for other questions, please contact Amy Sepinwall, Assistant Professor in Legal Studies and Business Ethics.
The Seventh Annual Quarter One Salute
The Student Life Fellows and Office of Student Life cordially invite you to the seventh annual...
“Quarter One Salute”
At the end of the last Q1 exam, students come together to celebrate the completion of first quarter.
Date: Thursday, October 15th
Time: 8:00pm – 11:00pm
Location: Pub @ The Armory
Featured: The Out4Biz Drag Show!
Conference season is underway! Just a few friendly reminder to the organizers:
- If your event features a speaker, please note that each speaker a group, club, department, or individual wishes to invite to a Wharton event, whether on campus or off-site, must be approved by Wharton Marketing and Communications (and in certain cases by the University) before any invitation is extended. Each speaker request must be submitted using the school-wide Speaker Request Management System, found here: https://web.wharton.upenn.edu/speaker/. Please expect at least 72 business hours for feedback on your request. Failure to abide by this policy may result in loss of Wharton and University resources.
- Please reference the Media Relations guidelines and the speaker release forms posted on SPIKE. If you plan on inviting journalists to attend sessions, it is important to get your conference speakers’ approval first.
We appreciate all your hard work in coordinating these fantastic events on behalf of the Wharton community and wish the best of luck!
-WGA Conference Chairs & Student Life
MEET WITH YOUR CLUSTER STUDENT LIFE ADVISOR
The MBA Office of Student Life would like to invite you to schedule a 1-on-1 meeting with your Cluster Student Life Advisor at some point in the coming days, weeks, or months. Our aim is to get to know you better and discuss some of your goals and how we can best support you during your time at Wharton.
If you would like to set up a meeting, please use the link below to access the Wharton Appointment Scheduler.