Waiver Guide: MBA Class of 2022
Take your first steps to find your starting point within the Wharton curriculum.
In order to take full advantage of Wharton’s innovative curriculum, now is the time to begin customizing your studies. Our required core curriculum is designed to give you the tools expected of all graduates. However, you may have already studied some of these topics in your undergraduate degree or have work experience in these fields. The Wharton Waiver Guide is a summary of all of the core classes that offer a waiver or placement option, and instructions on how to do so. It is important to note that you may only opt to submit credentials and/or take exams in the summer prior to starting the MBA program.
The decision to waive a core course should be based upon your familiarity with a particular subject. You can determine your proficiency level for these subjects through reviewing the information below. If you feel you have the knowledge to waive a subject in its entirety or place into an accelerated core class, we encourage you to submit your credentials and/or sit for the waiver and placement exams.
There is no downside to receiving a waiver or placement option. The decision to enroll in a core course that you have waived is ultimately up to you; if you would like a review of a subject, or to learn about Wharton’s approach to it in preparation for advanced electives, you can choose to enroll in the core course.
If you are new to business education, waiving or placing may not be the right options for you. Not to worry! Taking the entire core will not put you at a disadvantage. Nearly 40% of your classmates will not waive a single course and many who do waive will waive only one subject. Additionally, you have choices to make within the context of the core, allowing you to tailor your educational experience even before registering for elective coursework.
SUBMISSION DEADLINES FOR WAIVER
SUBMISSION DEADLINE #1
Monday, June 15
Results will be returned June 26
SUBMISSION DEADLINE #2
Monday, July 13
Results will be returned July 31
Credentials that were not approved by the first submission deadline may be resubmitted with supplemental information for consideration by the second deadline.
Your Next Steps:
- Check out the core course information. Review the course descriptions, syllabi and sample examples (if applicable).
- Complete the Waiver Evaluation module and review your evaluation.
- Submit materials for waiver by credentials and/or sign up for a waiver or placement exam.
If you registered for a placement or waiver exam via the Waiver Module, you will automatically be added to the exam Canvas site . Please note the following:
- Ensure that you have access to reliable internet for your exam. If you lose connectivity, it is not possible to reset the exam and you will lose the time.
- If this is your first time using Canvas, we strongly recommend you familiarize yourself with the site prior to the exam date. The exam can be found by clicking on “Quizzes” in the navigation menu (at left on web, or at top on mobile).
- Review the student instructions for Remote Exams on the Wharton Computing site.
- Students are free to begin the exam at any time during the 8 AM Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) or 8 PM EDT time slot (registration for a specific time slot is no longer required). Once you open the exam, your time limit will automatically begin. You must finish the exam in the allotted window so please be mindful of your start time. If the exam is two hours and you begin at 10:30 AM, you will only have 1.5 hours to complete the exam as it will close at 12 PM.
- If you encounter any technical issues with the exam, immediately contact Wharton Student Computing: https://computing.wharton.upenn.edu/
- If you have any questions or concerns about registration, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
|Course ID||Course Title||Day||Date||Time||Exam Length||Instructions|
|ACCT611||Financial Accounting||Monday||August 3||8:00am EST / 8:00pm EST||2 hours||Open book, open notes, calculator permitted|
|STAT613||Waiver Exam for Regression Analysis for Managers||Wednesday||August 5||8:00am EST / 8:00pm EST||2 hours||OPEN book, no notes, calculator permitted|
|STAT621||Placement Exam for Enrollment into Accelerated Regression Analysis for Managers||Wednesday||August 5||8:00am EST / 8:00pm EST||1 hour||OPEN book, no notes, calculator permitted|
|MGEC611||Microeconomics for Managers||Monday||August 10||8:00am EST / 8:00pm EST||1.5 hours||Closed book, no notes, calculator permitted|
*Registration for the exams can be completed via the waiver app. Registration for a specific time slot is no longer required.
Academic Advisors are here to help.
Academic Advisors are available to discuss your best course of action. Second-year students can also give a perspective on waivers but keep in mind that they may not be familiar with your background or experience. Check out the FAQs below and please don’t hesitate to contact the MBA Program Office at email@example.com with any questions.
Check out our FAQ page for answers to common questions about the waiver guide.